Get Out and Get Grilling This Australia Day
Published on 23 January 2020
Every year, Australians celebrate Australia Day the best way we know how, with a sizzling barbeque
surrounded by friends and family, while we soak up the sunshine and enjoy the long weekend. So,
you’ve bought your groceries, your cheese platter is ready for your party guests and you are
prepping lunch, getting it ready for the grill, when a summer shower rolls through.
Don’t let the weather stop you this Australia Day with George Foreman’s Indoor/Outdoor BBQ Grill,
which will have you grilling inside, thanks to its removable base. Cooking up to 13 servings at one
time, you can feed the whole party in one big cook!
So now that you can remove summer showers from your list of worries, it’s time to decide what
you’ll be cooking! If you’re looking for a delicious alternative to sausages, why not satisfy your guests
with sweet and sour chicken skewers? Find our recipe below for the perfect Australia Day meal. A
certain crowd pleaser!.
Servings: 10 Skewers
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 500g skinless chicken breasts – cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp of w
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into 2.5cm squares
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 large green capsicum cut into 2.5cm squares
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Broccoli for serving
- 10 x 25cm Skewers (avoid metal skewers, as they can scratch the non-stick coating)
- Mix together pineapple juice, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce. Take
half of the sauce and place in zipper top bag with chicken. Marinate for at least 2 hours or up
to 8 hours
- Take the remaining half of sauce and add corn flour mixture. Simmer for 5 minutes until
thick. Set aside half of that simmered sweet and sour sauce for dipping!
- Preheat George Foreman Indoor/Outdoor BBQ Grill to Medium-High
- Take chicken out of marinade and dry off with paper towel. Now comes the fun part! Using
skewers, place the ingredients in this order: pineapple, tomato, chicken, capsicum. Repeat until skewers are mostly full, leaving a few centimetres free on both ends
- Place the skewers on George Foreman Indoor/Outdoor BBQ Grill and listen for the sizzle.
- Take the simmered sweet and sour sauce and start glazing, cooking each side of the chicken for about 5 minutes or until chicken is charred
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and serve over steamed broccoli with extra sauce!
Let the George Foreman Indoor/Outdoor BBQ Grill do the hard work this Australia Day, so all you
need to worry about is what’s for dessert! Happy BBQing!